OBJECTIVES OF THE YAA CERTIFIED PEER EDUCATOR WORKSHOP:
The Certified Peer Educatorís course is designed to create knowledgeable Peer Educators (PEís) who understand and are sensitive to cultural and psychosocial issues related to HIV/AIDS and STDís. The training uses participatory learning methods/role play to prepare the PEís in HIV/AIDS facts and other educational activities. The PEís will be able to demonstrate:
- The ability to organize and deliver HIV/AIDS Peer Education workshops for youth and or adults in a variety of settings according to program guidelines.
- The ability to use games as a teaching strategy.
- The ability to display a non-judgmental attitude.
- The ability to give constructive feedback to others using various proven methods.
Once trained and certified the Peer Educators are also expected to:
- Perform school and community outreach in teams with age appropriate information on how to protect themselves from HIV and other STDs.
- Assist the YAA in the organization of the Peer Educator Outreach Workshops.
- Conduct these Peer Education Workshops.
- Recommend persons to join the YAA and be trained as Peer Educators.
- Act as a resource and support for new Peer Educators.
- Assist in the coordination and attend conferences and refreshers meetings.
- Provide support to other interventions being executed or supported by the YAA.
- Facilitate the preparation and submission of reports on interventions/outreach.
OBJECTIVES OF THE YAA CERTIFIED JUNIOR INSTRUCTOR TRAINERS WORKSHOP:
The Junior Instructor Trainerís Course is designed to prepare knowledgeable Instructor Trainers who understand and are sensitive to cultural and psychosocial issues raised by HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections.
Upon Completion of Course be Able to Demonstrate:
- The ability to organize and deliver HIV/STI Peer Education Workshop for 16-20 young people, ages 10 Ė 19 years
- Ability to use games as a teaching strategy
- A non-judgmental attitude
- Understanding of the Red Cross education and philosophical approach to HIV/STI education
- Factual accuracy of HIV/STI information
- Familiarity with course materials
- Facilitation skills appropriate for young people
- Appropriate communication of HIV/STI education for young people
- Ability to give feedback to young people through one-on-one conference method